Saturday, March 20, 2010

St. (ex)Pat's Day


I spent Wednesday night at Lima’s only Irish pub, predictably called O’Murphy’s. There were at least 100 of people rammed into a space intended for twenty-two. Here’s a few of the 78 extra people I encountered:

A Peruvian nicknamed “El Chino” (every Asian is Peru has this nickname) who claimed he had an Irish grandma. “Okay, Chino everyone can be Irish on St. Patrick’s Day.”

The Lead singer of a Cranberries cover band, headlining O’Murphy’s that night. A true Peruvian Punk Rock Girl.

Every I’m-really a-quarter-Irish expat in Lima. These characters are easily identified by the green shirts on their backs, the green beads around their necks, and the green beer in their hands.

A Peruvian anglophile with a Native American tattooed on his arm. He was really disappointed I was from Minnesota. “I have always wanted to meet someone from Tennessee.”

The nice American boy who walked three blocks to buy my sick friend water she could drink

A friendly Ecuadorian tourist, I asked him if it was his first time celebrating St. Patrick’s Day and he asked me, “What’s St. Patrick’s Day?”

No comments:

Post a Comment