Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Phantom Llama



I hope you´re all still mulling over the moral complexities discussed in my last blog post. If it gave you something to think about, here is a post that should give you nothing to think about.

Let´s play a game. I say a word and you tell me the first thing that comes to your head.

Ready? Okay, Peru.


Did you say llama? Was the first thing you thought of either a lovable llama or an affable alpaca. For me Peru is synonymous with these furry camelids. I thought I would see at least one everyday.

This, however, is not the case. Llamas are not the least bit ubiquitous in downtown Arequipa. I have yet to see one llama, alpac, or a wild cousin, the ever-elusive vicuña.

But there is hope. This weekend I have been promised llamas- llama hats, llama wool, llama meat, and llamas themselves (I probably won´t eat the llama meat). Colca Canyon, where I will be trekking, is home to these wooly devils, and I can´t wait.

Trust that there will be many photos of me and these magnicifent creatures to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment